The easiest way to sell more from emails is to make your current transactional emails active sales channels.
After an order is submitted, most shops have the following flow:
- Send an order receipt.
- Send a shipping confirmation.
- Send a request for feedback / review mail.
By simply adding recommendations based on the order into those mails you can easily increase customer retention. This mail will be sent anyway, and once setup is complete the recommendations are fully automated. Customers who do this tend to make around $1.5 for each order receipt that they send.
Simple order confirmation mail with recommendations.
Triggered emails are marketing emails which are sent as the customer performs a certain action. The most common message is the Abandoned Cart email, which is sent when the customer leaves site before completing the checkout process.
But Abandoned Cart is not the only triggered email that can boost sales from your existing customers. Below is our best practice for trigger email flows based on actions that the visitor has completed.
When a customer exits the checkout process without completing the purchase, send an interval email flow with reminders at 30 minutes, 6 hours and 24 hours after leaving the store.
Following up on a order is crucial when encouraging customers back to shop again, without re-acquiring them through expensive marketing. A follow-up email series should typically stretch up to a year, with various points of re-entry. Here is an example of an email flow:
- 30 days: "Again, thank you for your recent purchase" - Recommend the most popular new products in your store.
- 90 days: "Hope you are well, a lot has happened" - Recommendations based on the last order and new arrivals in your store.
- 180 days: "We miss you" - Recommendations based on their last order including great offers or even a coupon.
It can be even longer or more frequent but this is an easy way to start.
Newsletter signup welcome flow
Many stores miss out on potential sales and brand awareness by simply not acting on newsletter signups. When a customer first signs up for your newsletter it is the perfect chance to properly introducing yourself. Use this welcome flow to drop bite-sized pieces of information about your business and stand out against the competition.
The signup flow is also a great way to initiate sales. Add products for each mail in the signup flow to increase conversions.
Abandoned Cart email.
Order followup email.
A section of the newsletter welcome flow.
Your traditional newsletters are a great way to sell personalised products.
The products, or topic of the newsletter, may not be exactly perfect for the customer but here you can add fully personal recommendations at the bottom of the newsletters, increasing the chance of converting a new sale.
Add this as apart of your std. template and you will never have to do this manually.
Newsletter with personalised product recommendations.
This is the big thing
This is the next big step. Email marketing is a great way to sell but can be an intensely manual and time consuming task. With a personalisation engine like Clerk.io you now have the power to create 100% fully automated email marketing!
From our experience, setting up fully automated recommendations alongside your existing newsletters can lead to more sales, without taking anything away from your existing newsletter flow.
Here is our current best practice for fully automated email flows:
- First day of the month: "We just got a lot of new arrivals" - People just got their pay-check and are ready to spend. Utilise this by sending out your most popular new products.
- Next week: "Our top picks for you" - Personalised products recommendations based on the customer's purchase patterns.
- Week after that: "Look at what other customers love" - Recommendations based on what is trending amongst other customers.
- Last week of the month: "End of the month sale - great savings" - Even though it's the end of the month, you can still generate a lot of sales. Simple recommend your most popular sale items. This way, you get tap into additional sales and clear some stock from your shelves.
Fully automated personalised newsletter.